What is Certification?
Board Certification is the process by which a doctor is tested and approved to practice in a speciality field, in this case Cosmetic Surgery. After successful completing the requirements of a board of specialities the doctor can be called "Board Certified".
Applicants may apply for the following areas of certification:
- Body, Breast and Extremity Aesthetic Surgery
- Dermatologic Aesthetic Surgery
- Facial Aesthetic Surgery
- General Aesthetic Surgery
- Aesthetic Medicine
All Candidates Must Meet the Following Criteria:
- Applicant must complete a current application furnished online or by the WAOCS General Office (refer to application process and procedures).
- Applicant shall submit four (4) letters of recommendation, including but not limited to letters from: a. the chairperson of his/her residency program or verification, or from the department chief of his/her current hospital facility or verification; b. his/her cosmetic surgery fellowship director, if applicable, or verification of completion of fellowship; c. a diplomate of the WAOCS or ABCS; and d. any other practicing physician.
- Applicant shall submit proof of a current valid and unrestricted medical license in good standing in the jurisdiction where the applicant practices.
- Applicant must submit an explanation of any current or past disciplinary action by any public medical board.
- Applicant shall submit current copy of his/her curriculum vitae, certified by applicant as being true and correct as of the date submitted.
- Applicant shall affirm that he/she has no history of, nor are actions currently pending regarding any felony, crimes, convictions, or substance abuse.
- Applicant shall furnish proof of valid Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) or equivalent certification at the time of application (photocopy of valid card required).
- Applicant shall have received credit for 150 CME credits in Cosmetic Surgery (Category 1) and must average 50 CME Category 1 credits in Cosmetic Surgery per year for each year following completion of his/her fellowship to the date of application; and iii. In the event an Applicant applies for the examination more than six (6) years after completing their approved fellowship training, the Applicant must average 50 CME Category 1 credits in Cosmetic Surgery per year for the six (6) years preceding his/her date of application.
- Applicant shall successfully complete a written examination covering general knowledge of cosmetic surgical procedures. The WAOCS shall accept applications for the written component of the Annual Examination from: i. Applicants who meet the current requirements.
- Applicant must successfully complete an oral examination in the area of certification sought. The written and oral components must be successfully completed within three years of each other.
- Applicant Must Furnish Proof of Prior Certification By an: "approved board"
b. General Surgery
c. Obstetrics and Gynecology
d. Ophthalmology with completion of an approved Oculoplastic fellowship
f. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
g. Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
h. General Practitioner
(The above boards collectively referred to hereinafter as the "approved boards")